Dr. David C. Radford, D.C., MSc. is the third generation in his family to practice chiropractic medicine in the Western Reserve.
Dr. Radford’s grandfather, Virgil D. Evans, D.M., D.C., was a chemist. He attended Western Reserve Medical School, in his second year he transferred to National College of Chiropractic in Chicago, Illinois where he obtained his D.M. and D.C. degrees. Upon returning to Cleveland in 1933 he established the Cleveland Chiropractic Clinic.
Dr. Radford’s father, Warren S. Radford, D.M., D.C., joined Dr. Evans in the Cleveland Chiropractic Clinic practice in 1952. Dr. Radford graduated from the University of Florida, and the Lincoln College of Chiropractic in Indiana. During his career, Dr. Radford researched spinal problems and disc disease associated with faulty seating designs and he developed several U.S., Canadian, and Japanese patents for orthopedic devices for treating spinal problems. He developed the country's first patented contoured orthopedic chair back design that has become the most popular design for aircraft and automobile seating today.
The practice was moved three times throughout the more than eight decades of continuous service. In 1977 the name changed to the Chiropractic Clinic of Solon when the clinic moved to a location in the historic district of Solon, on Bainbridge Road.
Dr. David C. Radford has practiced in Solon for 38 years. He is currently providing comprehensive and individualized care as a member of a multidisciplinary team of spine and orthopedic specialists at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center in Solon in The Spine and Orthopedic Institute.
We are proud of our family’s chiropractic heritage. We are pleased that we withstood the dark days of persecution and misunderstanding of the chiropractic profession. Dr. David Radford believes we are able to provide superior health care to the public, offer education and quality care to thousands of patients every year.
Dr. David C. Radford has treated more than 15,000 residents of the community, many of the original families we have served into third and fourth generations. Dr. Evans was proud of this continuation and if he and Dr. Warren S. Radford were alive today, they would enjoy the distance that our profession has traveled since those humble beginnings in 1933.
The Chiropractic profession has evolved tremendously since 1895, just as all medicine has, from the days of informality and the old bone setters of early America, through many decades of controversy and persecution, to the current 60,000 plus doctors of chiropractic medicine. Chiropractic physicians currently represent the second largest group of health care providers in the United States, and serve nearly every country in the World.
The emphasis in chiropractic medicine is based upon a natural and scientific approach to the diagnosis and the non-surgical treatment of disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous system by integrating physiotherapy, exercise and a hands-on approach. The theories and methods of manual therapy and spinal manipulation have stood the test of time; in recent years these methods have been well documented to be safe and cost effective. Today’s doctor of chiropractic medicine stands in the forefront as a specialist provider for the conservative, non-surgical management of patients with disorders of the spine and musculoskeletal system.